Monday, July 2, 2012

When your power's out and you have no car

Ok, I'm exaggerating.  Those 2 things didn't happen at the same time, but they did happen within the same week!  I'm so lucky that I had just gotten my car back from the shop 2 days before that crazy storm.  And I'm also incredibly lucky that I was in one of the neighborhoods that got power back in 24 hours, as opposed to the WEEK they were predicting for the 4 MILLION people who lost power in this area.

But I have to say that, if it weren't 100 degrees outside, I wouldn't mind losing power one bit in this little town.  When I was stuck waiting around for 5 hours while my car was being worked on, I truly realized how lucky I am to live where I do.  There is so much to do in Kensington and most of it doesn't even require a wallet.

First stop, I had to get a sandwich and bottle of root beer from my favorite little market.

The "Jon":
turkey
brie
avocado
dijonaisse
fresh baked baguette
TO DIE FOR


Next stop, walk across the street to the gardens to eat it, beg Niall to have some applesauce and then give him a bag of chips in defeat.



We really do love hanging out in these gardens-- at least I do.  I'm not sure that Niall's face really exudes enjoyment in that picture, but I think he is secretly having fun.  Even Brendan is content not doing anything here.


Just takin' it all in :)


But if there's one thing that can really capture Niall's attention, it's sticks.  And there are quite a few here. 



That, and the "creek" of raw sewage beneath a 15 foot drop off, flowing alongside the gardens.  Naturally, I have about 28 seconds to shovel my sandwich down my throat before Niall ventures over to the ledge and starts testing out his superhuman abilities (or lack thereof).


Since I don't let him plunge to his death over the creek wall, I let him climb his first tree (with a little help).  I have to find some way to let him live a little, right?  I'm not a total pill.





I can tell he's going to be climbing to the tops of these monsters a lot sooner than I would like, and I will just die if I ever have to go up there and bail him out.  Good thing there's a fire department down the street because my body would freeze up in fear by the time I looked down from the second branch.

Next stop, the old train station:





Boys, trains... 'nuff said.

Final stop, the kid's library:


Yes, this adorable little cottage is a kid's library.  Did I mention all of this is in walking distance from my house?  Barely even noticed the car was gone :)

 Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kerry! Im absolutley in LOVE with you're blog! I can never stop reading it! I can't wait to se you guys!
    Mairéad

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!