Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Food Wars

Dear Niall,

You have won so many battles.  And yes, for a while I thought you had won the war.  There are only so many times I can puree, disguise and tuck away those veggies into cheesy, noodle-y concoctions before I shamefully hang my head (and my apron), and just give up.

It's been about a year and a half since you've willingly consumed a vegetable-- or even fruit, really.  Pears are the only one that you will eat, and that's only about twice a week if I'm lucky. 

As the mom who proudly declared that I made all of my own baby food from scratch starting when you were 6 months up until a year, your sudden boycott of foods containing any nutritional value made my eyebrows twitch and woke me up from deep sleeps in the middle of the night.  But then... one day... I finally stopped caring.

Don't get me wrong, I will never cave to your incessant pleas for M&Ms, ice cream and cookies for breakfast... but I've learned to happily accept a meal of nuts and cheese as a significant breakthrough.  Really, I've become OK with it.  Wash it down with a vitamin gummy and we'll call it a win.

But then came a breakthrough out of nowhere.
 
It was about a month ago, and I didn't want to get too excited at first-- because, I've had my fair share of false alarms...

i.e.:

-you ate 1 pea from my dinner plate one night and I thought that meant you liked peas... you spit it out about an hour and a half later.
-you ate an entire bowl of pasta with tomato sauce (tomato sauce being the vegetable) and exclaimed "I LOVE NOODLES!".... the next day, I offered the same thing, to which you immediately replied "I DON'T LIKE NOODLES!"
-I successfully mashed a tiny amount of pumpkin into some mac n cheese so that you couldn't even notice, only to find out that you don't have any interest in mac n cheese... not even plain (which I offered to you after the pumpkin version)

Anyhoo, I was sipping on my breakfast smoothie one sunny April day, when you got this sudden inquisitive look and asked if you could have a sip.

My eyes bulged out of my head and I just about fell out of my chair, but I quickly calmed myself down and shouted at myself inside of my head "PLAY COOL! GET IT TOGETHER!!"  And I did.... "Oh, you mean this?  Umm, I guess I should share, right?  Sure, you can have a LITTLE sip."

The rest is history.  I've tricked you every day for the last 3 weeks so I think it's safe to say you finally like one of my concoctions.  I could probably call it one of my greatest accomplishments in life to date.  That's how bad it is (both my accomplishments and your food aversions).

So for the rest of you moms struggling to pump some fruits and veggies into your little ones, here it is...

Niall's Secret "Foofie" (Smoothie) Recipe:



Frozen Strawberries
Frozen Blueberries
Banana
Plain Greek Yogurt
Almonds (optional)
Oats (optional)
Teeny tiny handful of spinach
lime
almond milk
splash of apple juice

Voila, nutrition in a cup :)

Now let's hope I haven't jinxed myself...

 Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE it!! Hope your winning streak continues :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smoothies=best way to get good stuff in little people ever! I used to sneak all of my boys veggies in this way. Miraculously, and after a lot of nagging and not letting them leave the table until the veggies were gone, they are now pretty good little eaters. All in good time.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!