Saturday, October 8, 2011

Treating Myself

You know you need a little break when you get out of the shower realizing that you've shaved one leg, but not the other... and then you just don't care enough to get back in and fix it.  So I took a little nap with Niall yesterday for the first time in probably a year and a half.  And boy, did I need it.  I woke up feeling like a new person.

Then, I got a little gutsier.  After giving up on going out to dinner for the last 6 months or so, I decided it was time to give it the ol' college try again.  It was time for a family treat, and as much as the odds were stacked against me, I was willing to give it a shot.

Niall is not an easy one to keep still for more than 5 minutes at a time, so going out to dinner has generally been more stress than enjoyment.  But I'm slowly learning the tricks of keeping a kid still while you shovel some yummy Mexican food in your mouth...


1) Sit outside and hope that lots of buses, trucks and fire engines drive by.
2) Mexican restaurants offer chips and salsa the second you sit down, which automatically makes them better than any other type of restaurant (at least for this boy).
3) Lock your kid in a corner, if at all possible-- Niall against the wall and me and the diaper bag on the other side, blocking off (almost) all possible escape routes.
4) The kiddie cup-- need I say more?
5) Coloring only works for about 3 minutes, so come equipped with lots of other toys (most likely things from your purse that aren't actually toys.  AKA credit cards, bulky key chains, chap stick and floss)

See, it's not so hard to go out to dinner as a family.  But I think we'll keep this to a once a month kind of thing ;)

Niall loves your votes! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

2 comments:

  1. Hmm..try going out to eat with three! Not so fun...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup, i hear ya. that was our friday night... you deserve the break mama!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!