Friday, August 5, 2011

Where a Kid Can Be a Kid

I have a very vivid memory from my childhood that starts with me hiding under a table at a friend's birthday party, clenching onto a piece of pizza... and ends with me peaking through the chairs at the very spectacle that was scaring me half to death.

Chuck E. Cheese has this weird stage show that I still don't know if it involves real people in costumes or battery operated robots-- but either way, it's freaky.  The light shines on the life sized mouse clan- I think there are maybe 4 of them- and they start doing this possessed, stiff armed dance with their big bug eyes blinking open and closed.  Then, the light turns off and they freeze.  But they are still staring at you.

I don't really know how to explain my twisted need to watch things that terrify me.  To this day, I will cover my face with a pillow during a horror movie, only to slowly pop my head out every so often to see the blood and guts that I was trying to shield myself from.  And I definitely remember begging my mom to watch Michael Jackson's 'Moonwalker' with me because I was way too afraid to watch it by myself.

But this is not about me anymore.  It was Niall's time to discover this strange world called Chuck E. Cheese's.  And he really loved it.





Naturally, he was more interested in taking my $10 worth of tokens and inserting all of them into the same machine at once, or taking the basketballs/ skee balls/ bowling balls and throwing them at other people instead of playing the actual game.  But hey, this is where a kid can be a kid, right?

These were his favorites:




And, a boy after his mama's own heart, his beaming smile converted to a look of sheer terror as... this guy:

wandered off the stage and approached Niall for a hug.  Sorry, Chuck E., we're just not into that sort of thing.


Peace out.

Niall loves your votes! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures of kid enjoying the play area.Good for him.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!