Monday, August 8, 2011

Building Traditions

Matt has been on a project for the last 4 months or so that has been pretty crazy.  He leaves around 5:30am and doesn't get home until 7 or 7:30pm and then he works 3 out of 4 Saturdays a month.  So I've been trying to plan some little fun things to do with Niall on Saturdays that don't involve too much effort for my lazy pregnant self.

And thus arose 'blanket breakfast Saturdays'.  Most people are spending time with their families on Saturday mornings, so it's not even really a good time to try to go meet up with other people.  It's just a little peaceful one on one time for Niall and me.


We pick up a bagel and a donut to split from Dunkin Donuts and bring it to this quaint little garden/park behind the railroad tracks, where we can listen to the birds and the trains and it's the absolute perfect temperature because it's 7am and the sun hasn't had a chance to come out and scorcher us.



Niall has actually started to understand that this is our little activity and he goes right up and sits down as soon as I spread out the blanket-- something Niall just doesn't do (sit).  He waits for me to pull out the yummy goodies and we sit and eat and laugh and then run around the garden.




I used to dread the days when I'd wake up on Saturdays and Matt wasn't there, but now I actually look forward to our little weekend morning picnics.  Although, I'll admit, it would be much more fun if Matt were there... but these types of activities are more my thing and not so much Matt's thing anyway.  In other words, if I woke Matt up on a Saturday at 7am and told him we were packing up and going to a park, I think he might cry.  So for now, Niall and I are just enjoying some mommy and son time.



Niall loves your votes! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

7 comments:

  1. aw i love it! I just to dread when Drew had to work on weekends (only does it maybe once a month) but now I really look forward to one on one time with Jasper since during the week I have oliver (the boy i nanny for) and if I havent said congrats yet- YAAY CONGRATS! So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is precious! Nice work filling your Saturday's alone with Niall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw kerry this is really cute! way to make the best of your saturdays without matt. niall is looking so grown-up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i hope matt doesnt have to do that much longer! thats a nice little tradition tho. its nice to actually be able to communicate with them more these days. a little less lonely i think for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this reminds me of the "snow picnics" me and my mom and sister would have when it snowed. my mom would spread out out one of those waterproof tablecloths and we would sit on on it in all of our snow gear, drinking hot chocolate and eating cookies and stuff. it was a way for our mom to play in the snow with us and when you are a kid, a snow picnic (rather than a regular one) seems like SUCH A COOL IDEA. and it clearly made an impression on me because i'm telling you about it now!!

    this seems like such a nice idea. even though niall is really little, i'm SURE he'll remember the effort you made to make things special for him. and the new bebe in the belly, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is totally adorable - what a good idea :) We always get up and drive 20 minutes for bagels... but haven't added the clever picnic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea!! SO much better than just eating at Dunkin Donuts- so creative, I may just have to steal it :)

    Lauren
    threecrazymunchkins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!