Friday, June 10, 2011

My First Letter to Niall

I'm not sure why I've never written directly to Niall on this blog.  I've seen a lot of other moms do monthly letters and I really like the idea, but I just have never gotten the spark to do it until today.

I'm starting to realize how truly special it is that he's turning into a little person now.  He's not a baby any more; it's not his cooing and babbling and sucking on his toes that make him cute these days-- it's his actual personality and the little things he thinks to do all on his own every day that make me so happy and proud. 

So I want to make sure he can look back one day and know what I think of the little boy he's becoming...

Dear Niall,

It's hard to believe that an 18 month old can pack so much personality.  If someone had asked me, before I had a baby, what I think a year and a half old child must be like, I would probably say that they are just a walking version of a baby.  I had no idea how much you can understand, how much you feel the full span of emotions, how much you care about things, and how kind and considerate you can be-- and are almost every day.

You are intuitive beyond belief.  Despite the fact that you NEVER sit still, you seem to know when I need a break and will come lay with me when I'm not feeling well or if I'm not up for our usual fun packed days.

You are so incredibly bashful.  You refuse to let anyone see your smile, except for me and daddy.  If a person has managed to make you laugh to the point where you can't curl your lips around your teeth to cover it, you will cover your mouth with your hand, just to be sure that they can't see that adorable smile.

You don't have a mean bone in your body.  Not only are you always willing to share your toys, you will often go out of your way to go up and hand one of your toys to another child you see playing close to you.  And it has never occurred to you to hit, kick or bite another kid.

I love that you are still hopelessly attached to your paci, but you happily take it out of your mouth and plop it into the basket as soon as you wake up because you know that you are only allowed to have it for sleeping.

You are head over heels in love with your daddy.  Nobody can make you laugh harder, smile bigger, run faster or repeat a name over and over (da! da! da! da!) more than dad.  And I'm completely ok with it. 

You somehow know that I only do what I think is best for you-- even when it's not easy.  You recently had to take 10 days of ammoxicillin and absolutely hated it.  I had to pin your arms down and squeeze your cheeks open to get the medicine dropper in your mouth. Then, I had to wait for you to kind of choke on the medicine so you wouldn't spit it out.  It was really hard on me, knowing that it was such torture and so traumatic for you.  And yet, as soon as I finished, even though you were crying your eyes out, you wanted me to hold you and hug you.  You knew that I wasn't doing it to hurt you.

I love our bedtime routine; a few books, a few prayers, some tickling, lots of hugs and kisses, and a quick but much despised brushing of the teeth, and you couldn't be happier to go to bed.  I will never take that for granted.  It's nothing short of a miracle that we can plop you in the crib and say "night night!" and walk out without so much as a peep of disapproval. 

And then I love seeing your smiling face in the morning.

I am already so proud of the person you are and can't wait to watch you continue to grow.

Love,
Mommy


Niall loves your votes! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

3 comments:

  1. This is so sweet! I loved reading a little bit more about Niall :) I wish I could see him hiding his little smile - nothing cuter than an embarrassed toddler!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet! These are the kinds of things our kids will treasure forever!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!