Monday, April 4, 2011

When Life Throws You Lemons...

Well, I can't exactly say there was any lemonade made around here, but I tried.  It's been an interesting week, filled with lots of ups & downs, highs & lows... 

Low:

It started with my laptop battery dying- bummer, no blogging.  But I would just wait patiently for a few days until the new battery got here... soon to find out that it wasn't my battery but my charger (time to re-order and wait again)

High:

Time to leave my laptop withdrawal blues and take a nice break to go to our friends' wedding in NY- minus the kiddo.  Party time!





Low:

Waking up with a raging headache and realizing we are no longer equipped for "party time"

High:

Finally coming back home to that sweet face we'd been missing all weekend.  Big hugs, bashful smiles, tickle fights and attempting to soak in how much he had grown and changed in just 2 1/2 days

Low:

What we hoped would be an evening of much needed quality time with the little guy we missed so much... turned into an evening confined to the walls of the emergency room, instead

Yes, it was the dreaded first trip to the ol' ER.  It was 7:30pm before we realized that he had a fever of 103.5-- you can imagine the blood rushing to my face as the numbers kept climbing quickly past 101.

How convenient that this all was happening right at his bedtime.  I knew this was going to be a long night.  The poor guy was so exhausted, he would nod off in the hospital bed and then be jerked awake by all the poking and prodding of the different people coming in and out of the room.

He was given a dose of ibuprofen right away and then we just pretty much had to wait for his fever to go down.  4 hours.

We were discharged around midnight and told that it was probably just a virus.  Of course, I could barely sleep all night, but I tried to just leave him be if he was breathing ok and not crying.  When he finally woke up this morning at 9, he was back at 103.5.  Commence my second heart attack.

It's just been a long waiting game of giving him medicine and letting the fever go down, which it always does, but it's so scary in the meantime.

So he's ok.  Just not his chipper little self.  Which brings me back to one more high and low...

High:

Today, it is 75 degrees outside.

Low:

We will be sitting inside with our noses pressed against the window, wishing we could enjoy the spring that took so long to finally get here.

But this is the way being a parent goes.  You can rarely be prepared for all the surprises and challenges of life with a toddler-- plans are going to change, nap times and meal times are going to be interrupted, filthy hands are going to be shoved into the mouth before you have a chance to wipe them.  And sometimes you just have to take a deep breath and say "Well isn't this fun?" to remind yourself that it really truly is.



Niall loves your votes! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

6 comments:

  1. Tell Jamie she looked gorgeous! I remember when she got engaged and her wedding seemed so far away. Time flies!

    And I hope Niall is on the mend for good this time... poor guy, and poor you and Matt!

    I owe you a phone call, but I worked 75 hours last week, so the minute I get a decent chunk of time to spare, I will be in touch :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man... at least he waited until you got back to get sick! think how nerve wracking it would have been if you weren't there. get better SOON niall!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No way- Kate had a fever of 103.5 too! Scared me to death. Thankfully we were able to get her in to see our doc and not the ER (still waiting for that first ER visit... hopefully not anytime soon!) I hope your little man is feeling better and your computer woes are over soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, so sorry you had to take Niall to the ER!!! I hope that he is feeling better so you can enjoy the nice weather soon! We have snow on the forecast for tomorrow :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those high fevers are very scary. The one thing I learned when my son was 6 months old and had pnemonia was when the fever is high do not let your mother in law give him a freezing cold bath. I actually stood my ground and wouldn't let her, it turns out my instincts were right. Our doc told us cooling a high fever too quickly could lead to a seizure!
    Loved the comment about the day after headache. Sad, but true. It almost isn't worth it anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yea, the freezing cold bath is definitely a bad idea! I wonder why that wives tale is still so widely believed to be true. Good thing you stood your ground. I was really shocked to hear the doctor tell me that the actual number of a baby/toddler's fever is not so important unless they are in an uncontrolled environment like a car or they have pre-existing conditions. I guess you just have to let their body fight it off and try to keep it somewhat lower with motrin. Scary stuff, though.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!