Monday, April 11, 2011

My Guest Post: Life's Little Adventures

Happy warm and sunny Monday!  I feel like a new person.  Spring is finally here.  And in the spirit of new beginnings and the new adventures that come with the ability to play outside, I am excited to announce that I wrote a guest post for Freckles and Fudge, a blog about pretty much anything and everything.  I copied and pasted it below, but you should definitely check out Vic's blog if you haven't already.


Life's Little Adventures

Hey there freckles and fudge clan :)

My name is Kerry and I'm a 27 year old stay at home, work at home (part-time) mom to a 16 month old boy named Niall.


As an only child who seriously had no clue about baby raising, it's been quite an interesting adventure so far-- lots of laughing, even more crying, endless picture taking.  But it's also been a lot of unknowns.  So I figured what better to talk about on this guest post...

Sometimes I let it get to me- the old “embrace your youth” shpeal. Did I do everything I wanted to do before I had a kid at 25? People often ask me “What about traveling, going out, and having time to yourself?” And I get it. Those are valid fears.

But if there’s anything I’ve learned in this crazy whirlwind as a first time mom, it’s that life’s little adventures are never far out of reach. Things that are hidden no more than a 10 minute walk or drive from your front step. I just never thought to really explore them before now.

A trip downtown that almost feels just like Europe

An evening watching the sunset with friends

A trendy frozen yogurt shop

I used to spend a lot of time staring at exotic island pictures taped to my cubicle wall and I suddenly realized, after having a baby, that there is so much to enjoy right in front of me.  If I spent too much time wishing I was somewhere else, I would miss out on the all the fun that my own cute little town had to offer.



You’re probably thinking “this poor girl is trying to reassure herself that a trip to the park is just as cool as a night out on the town.” Well, honestly, I needed to get out of the whole “going out” scene. I don’t like sleeping the day away, rocking a big beer gut, or trying to shout across my friends in a crowded bar. I did all of that for four years in college, and now it’s time for something different. 


Yes, travel and time to myself can be a challenge; there’s no denying that. I love going to far off countries and experiencing different cultures. And it would definitely be nice to jump at a spur of the moment dinner with the girls whenever I wanted. But when it’s all said and done, we still go on vacation every summer, I still venture out for lunch dates with my friends (Niall in tow), and I still take some much needed “me time” before Niall wakes up each morning.

Don’t get me wrong, I have my fair share of days where I’m shouting expletives into the atmosphere, kicking trains across the room in fits of rage, and hopelessly wondering how I’m supposed to handle a public temper tantrum without having one of my own. But I also know that you don’t have to hop on a plane to Bali to find yourself.

I can honestly say that I like this person I’ve become; I’m comfortable with this person; I know this person. In the last year and a half, I’ve learned that I am truly a kid at heart and I’ve found great happiness in life’s simplest pleasures:


A morning jog on the boardwalk

Trying my hand at things I’ve never attempted before

Snapping that perfect picture

The quiet of a snowy winter morning

…And knowing that life’s next little adventure is just around the bend :)

Enjoy your week!



Niall loves your votes! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

2 comments:

  1. Loved the post. New follower here! Enjoying it

    My ABC Soup

    www.myabcsoup.blogspot.com

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! you sure do have the best little fam:) xoxo enjoy the day

    Vic

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!