Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Thank you, Uncle Sam

Dear Uncle Sam,

Thank you for sucking us dry every paycheck of every year.  I'm not being sarcastic; I say this in the most genuine heart of hearts.

You see, every 2 weeks, you trick us into thinking we owe you wayyy more than we actually do.  But we continue to pay so that we don't go to jail. 

And then, just when we have to start dipping into savings to break even, you drop us the most beautiful, bountiful surprise come the start of every spring:

Our tax refund. Oh, sweet refund.

Let me back up a little.  This is completely our fault, actually.  Matt never updated any of his tax forms when we got married or bought a house or when I quit my full time job.  There were bundles of exemptions that we missed out on.

But now, this surprise has given us the opportunity to spiff the place up a little.  Something we've been wanting to do for a long time now.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to open the kitchen door again?  It decided stop working about a year ago and nobody has entered or exited through it since then.  


But the worst is the basement door.  One of the windows broke and our solution was to nail a board up against the whole thing.  Very ominous looking, isn't it?  It kind of reminds me of a horror movie, which probably does the job of a security system, so that is kinda nice.


Next, the horrible "privacy" bushes that have grown so far and wide across our steps that I can barely get by.  They are also full of yellow jackets, which makes for a very exciting exit strategy every day with Niall in my arms.  But most importantly, they are straight up heinous.  They gotta go.


I will also be painting the front door yellow: my favorite color.  I can't tell you how happy this makes me.  I seriously love this door, so now it will be that much better.  The mailman actually drops our mail through that "letters" slot.  I'm pretty sure I smile and clap every time he does.


And finally, we can fence the basement well so that I don't have to worry about my 15 month old plunging 10 feet onto a concrete slab when he's playing with his ball in the back yard.



So once again, thank you for swindling our money temporarily, Uncle Sam.

Sincerely,

Niall and the fam

 
Niall loves your votes! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

6 comments:

  1. I love this! :) You'll have to post "after" pictures when it's all finished. We got a nice refund this year too, which paid for our new tankless water heater--woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LITERALLY just e-filed and am feeling that warm, thank you feeling as well; until my next paycheck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love getting a tax return! I call it our "savings plan" since we are terrible about saving, but don't mind being overtaxed temporarily :)
    I cannot wait to see the yellow door, I think it will look so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so funny - Dave never updated his info either and we finally got a nice return this year. Woohoo! Your door will be adorable painted yellow. Enjoy your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So funny! Sounds like you have a lot of updates to do, so fun!! Love the sound of the yellow door! We are getting a pretty big tax return too but I don't think we are doing anything exciting with it : ( just savings! blah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like some great improvement ideas for sure! painting your door and trimming back those monster bushes will transform the look of your entire house. good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!