Monday, March 14, 2011

Death of a Lobster

I've always been a cram your day full of a zillion things kind of girl.  I like to take Niall to the library in the morning, for a walk in the middle of the day, to the park in the late afternoon, and throw an art project in there at some point if there's time.

If there's a spectrum for this sort of thing, Matt would be on the complete opposite end.  And we're starting to appreciate this about one another.  It has taken some time, but I've learned that Matt just doesn't have the energy to do 20 things in a day-- and that's ok.

So the one thing that we've really been enjoying together lately is going to the market every Saturday.  We pick up some fresh seafood, enjoy a knock-your-socks-off pulled pork sandwich, and prepare an elaborate meal when we get home.

This weekend, it was lobster risotto made with homemade lobster stock.  Everything was from scratch.  All in all, it's a good 2 hour process to make this fancy version of rice with this fancy version of lobster water.  But, oh was it worth it.


What I was not expecting was to have an emotional breakdown in the process.

One minute, I'm joking around, dangling the lobster up in front of my face... and the next, I'm blinking back tears as Matt and I submerge the lobsters into boiling water.


Despite my beaming smile in that picture, the next 5 minutes that followed were really horrible.  I actually contemplated becoming a vegetarian for a minute there.  Or at least saving this one particular batch of lobster friends.  Until I remembered how much I love eating all kinds of once living creatures.

Even Matt was having trouble with the whole thing.  We kept looking at each other, saying "this is so wrong" (with our eyes).  Especially the part where the lobster re-enacted the crucifixion while I was completely unaware of what was happening.


I think the kicker was that they didn't even put up a fight.  They just kind of gave up and went under on their own-- like the girl in the end of "Open Water."


But rest assured, the lobsters died for a worthy cause-- the best lobster risotto ever!  Even Niall ate a few bites.  Have you ever known a baby lucky enough to eat such fine cuisine?  What a sophisticated palate ;)



Niall loves your votes! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

4 comments:

  1. you're pretty brave, I'm not sure I could go through with it...did they squeal? I heard they do...We're the same at our house, Gareth likes to chill most of the weekend because he works all weekend & I like to cram the days he's at work with enjoyable things for bubs. It's a happy partnership

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we went to Cape Cod we had a lobster Dinner. Freshly caught Lobster by our friend's Grandfather that morning. He set up the pot, and the seasoning he put inside smelled amazing. He proudly showed us his catch, and started to toss them into the boiling pot. I must have looked horrified because his wife came over and put her hands on my shoulders and said, "It's ok, It's the circle of life." and I giggled at the Land before time reference and we all laughed.

    A Moment of silence for Lobster's every where.

    I want Lobster risotto now! Sounds divine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha! Sorry, I can totally relate. I'd probably have a problem with it too. Why DO we have to boil the poor suckers live anyways? Wouldn't it be nicer to chop off their heads first?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you are quite the cook. I would be scared to death to that......however, I love lobster.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!