Thursday, February 10, 2011

Gettin' Crafty

Cabin fever is a dangerous illness.  It can make you do crazy things; things you didn't know you were capable of, like:

  • dance in the family room to the "Top Hits" music TV station, trying not to accidentally kick your toddler in the face while he's playing by your feet
  • watch trash TV that you never thought you'd stoop to (re-runs of real housewives getting shnockered and cussing each other out)
  • twitch incessantly as you read your child's favorite book for the 50th time (with your eyes closed, since you already know the story by heart)
  •  
    So, I decided to put an end to this winter lull myself.  It's time to break free.

    I did some research on the mom discussion boards out there to find out what 15 month olds like to do (besides play with cell phones).

    Turns out that, once again, I was totally holding Niall back because I thought he was too young for half the stuff.  I feel like the possibilities are endless now.  We can finally stop rotating through the same 5 lame activities and do some really fun stuff.

    Here's what's in store for the next, oh, however long it takes for Niall to get bored with it:

    fingerpainting



    A must!  So fun and it washes right up with a wet cloth/ paper towel.  I just let him paint right on his high chair tray.

    coloring



    These fat animal markers are designed for toddlers who don't have a good grip yet- they're so cool.  (Yes, Niall tried to suck the ink out of them.  Hopefully, they're really non-toxic)

    There are also big fat toddler crayons that don't break easily, but they were out :(

    play dough



    This was the best tidbit of advice I've found yet-- make your own oatmeal play dough and you won't have to worry about them eating it: 1 part flour, 2 parts oatmeal, 1 part water.  Add a little food coloring and voila :)

    sidewalk chalk


    So, this should keep us busy for at least 2 full days.  Please share any other fun ideas that I might be missing- I'd love to hear them!


    Click it or ticket! Just kidding, but please vote for us :) Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

    2 comments:

    1. Hi! I just stumbled on to your blog through Top Baby Blogs. It's so fun to start doing activities with the kiddos. I think "Baby, Play & Learn" is a fun book full of good activity ideas.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I struggle for fun activities to do too, and I know it's going to get worse when a piece of dog kibble is no longer half an hour of amusement!

      We bought the same finger paint to make handprints in Thank You cards with. I put it all over Mason's hand and he looked at his hand and started screaming like he was traumatized. I'm thinking it will be long while before we're in finger painting territory LOL

      ReplyDelete

    Talk to me!