Monday, December 13, 2010

Once is enough

Sometimes you have to do something crazy, just that once, to be able to say you did it; to confirm to yourself that you still are fun, young and adventurous... and then you don't ever do it again. 

You're probably waiting for me to tell you that I went sky diving or got a tattoo or something that really requires some guts.  But no, I'm just talking about a short weekend in NYC- Niall and mommy. And believe me, with baby in tow and no husband to help, that is just as crazy as the things mentioned above.

A few old friends were going to be there for the weekend, and I had family in NJ.  So, I decided I could fit everyone in just over 24 hours.  It was a 4 hour drive to NJ on Friday, arriving at my cousins' around 3pm.  I spent the evening with them and left around 11am the next morning to drive into the city. 

Why didn't I realize that driving into NYC is an absolute death wish?  I couldn't really tell ya.  I guess I just thought having my car and all of our stuff with us would be easier than trying to deal with public transportation. 

1pm rolled around and I was stuck in gridlock traffic INSIDE the Lincoln tunnel, which is when I started to panic.  Surely, I would die of claustrophobia inside of this godforesaken tunnel.  And then, everyone would start honking and yelling at me for inconveniencing them with my dying in their lane. 

Wait, there's a baby in the back of this car- get it together!  (is what I told myself).  It's an amazing thing the way your motherly instincts allow you to accomplish things you never would have been able to do if you were on your own.  I knew I would have to put my hypochondriac notions aside and just get us out of here.

And miraculously, I did.  Only through a lot of stimulating pretend conversations with Niall, who was paying no attention to me... and only to find that I would be in the center of hell on the other side of that tunnel. 

I emerged in the heart of Manhattan, a needle in a haystack of cars, trying to find parking.  Hmmm.  I surprisingly found a parking garage not more than a few blocks from the Lincoln death tube.  For just $50 a day!  After $30 worth of tolls to get to this city of lunatic rage-aholics. 

Ok, but even after all the stress, it was so worth it.  Just this one time.  Just to see some old friends, catch a slightly out of reach glimpse of the big Christmas tree, step into the biggest Toys R Us ever (and walk right back out after being stampeded), and snap a quick photo of the naked cowboy. 

All the while, Niall was sleeping in the stroller-- as I was screaming "There's the tree!", "There's Santa!", "There's a Shrek impersonator!"  But I saw it and I enjoyed it, so I guess that's all that matters.

And the sad fact is that he wouldn't remember any of it anyway.  That's what pictures are for, right?








Click it or ticket! Just kidding, but please vote for us :) Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

4 comments:

  1. You did that ALONE crazy woman?! Glad you're back in one piece. Public transportation with a stroller is rough but that traffic is HELL. So glad you had a good time though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I'm your newest follower. I found you on the Nater Tot blog. :)

    Oh my goodness... reading this post gave me a knot in my stomach. You are one brave woman! Congratulations for surving the weekend. My husband and I lived in Manhatten for two years (pre-baby), and a couple of times we rented a car to get out of the city and it was just a nightmare. I'm surprised we're still married after some of the traffic turmoil we had.

    But seriously, I'm so glad you had a good time. :)

    Stop by if you get a chance! www.hollyatnaptime.com

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh, i about had a panic attack for you with that lincoln tunnel scenario! crazy. sounds like an awesome time though, & i'm glad it was all worth it. way to be brave mama :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you're thinking twice about the benefits of public transport! :) Now you know why even the Mayor takes the subway!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!