Thursday, November 4, 2010

What I wish I'd known a year ago...

A couple of women I know are expecting their first babies in these next few weeks, and it got me thinking about this time last year.  On this exact day in 2009, I was thinking my baby would be here by the end of the week.  Little did I know that I would be waiting until almost the end of the month for this little guy to finally make his way out.

It's hard to believe that it's been almost a full year since that whole crazy time, but I've been thinking a lot about the things I wish I had known in those few weeks before Niall came.  Everything is such uncharted territory, and no matter how prepared you think you are, you really can't be... until the snowball of mommyhood starts rolling. 

So even though I'm so happy with the way everything has gone (aside from my birth experience), here's what I wish I had known this time last year...


  • that birth plans don't always work out
  • that due dates don't mean jack diddly squat- it's not like booking a flight.  That baby's gonna come when he/she wants to come ;)
  • DO NOT set an alarm every 2 hours to wake your sleeping baby up to eat (I did this for a good 2 months- I know, crazy!)
  • that breastfeeding would be just as difficult as labor
  • that I would ultimately still be a great mother, despite not being able to breastfeed (and I could stop beating myself up over "my biggest failure")
  • enjoy those last few days/weeks of SLEEP, instead of stressing about why the baby isn't here yet
  • that I would never get a truly full night of rest ever again (even when my kids are adults, I bet I'll still be worrying about them)
  • that working from home while trying to entertain a baby/toddler is one of the world's most difficult jobs (for some reason, I thought, "Oh, I will work from home- that will be easy"- not realizing that babies demand so much time and attention)
  • if your baby starts sleeping through the night at 3 months old, it doesn't mean your in the clear.  It could be back to baggy eyes next month :(
  • that it's just as important to get pictures of your whole family as it is of that adorable baby of yours (we only have 2 pix of the 3 of us!)
  • that baby monitors do not tell you if your baby is still breathing or not (although I think there is some high tech machine these days that does that)
  • that watching/ helping your baby grow and learn is the coolest thing you'll ever be a part of
  • that I will only need to spend money on multiple varieties and colors of sweats, and not cute shirts or skirts ever again
  • that I will never be able to sleep past 7am again until my youngest kid is in high school (that's so far away!!)
  • that it all goes by so much quicker than any cliche could have warned you- enjoy every minute of it :)
What do you wish you had known in those last few weeks before baby?


Click it or ticket! Just kidding, but please vote for us :) Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by to follow my blog! I'm following you back :) I loved reading this post! My son will be 1 this month and these are some of the same, exact things I wish I had known this time last year!

    -Sarah
    http://thelittlehedgehog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fantastic list. I agree with so many of your points, especially all of the sleeping ones :( Nate was an amazing sleeper as a newborn. I had no clue that everything would change! And seriously, HOW DO you work at home? I can't even manage to do light housekeeping. You're amazing for holding down two jobs like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog. I'm following you back lovely lady.

    -K

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh, i could write paragraphs on every single thing you mentioned. starting with the first one... my birth plan did NOT work out as planned. what. so. ever.

    i think my best advice would be to relax, go with the flow, take lots of deep breaths, & throw every pre-conceived notion of motherhood out the window! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm learning so much from you, Niall, and this blog! If I have babies, I am doing it the Kerry way! Niall will look back on these blog entries one day and reconfirm what a great job you did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I agree with so many of the items on your list! Breastfeeding was so much harder then I ever thought it would be. My birth plan completely went out the window, unfortunately. But she got here safe and sound and in the end that's all that mattered!

    I wish I would have known that when people say "sleeping through the night" it doesn't really mean all night, at least not for a long time!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!