Monday, October 4, 2010

Why didn't I think of this before?

As a first time mom, I typically discover a lot of great baby tricks and fun activities pretty late in the game.  But, hey, better late than never, right?  This is one that my stepmom clued me in on- something that was right in front of my eyes; could have slapped me in the face, but it never even occurred to me.

A Pillow Fort!!

Not just any pillow fort, though.  A pillow fort made from the biggest and most comfortable wrap around couch ever.  We have 5 gigantic seat cushions and 6 fluffy back pillows to go with it.  Pile all of that up on our 3x4 foot family room floor (maybe a slight exaggeration)... and you've got every square inch of the room covered in cushions!

If it looked pretty amazing to me, it must have looked absolutely incredible to him.  You really couldn't even see the ground.  I'm talking no worries, throw the baby without any hesitation, will definitely land on a big soft pillow, kind of fun.

We were both cracking up, and I'm pretty sure I burned as many calories as a 30 minutes work out on the elyptical machine.  Niall even got a little gutsy and climbed onto the cushion-less couch and launched himself down into the fluffy abyss below- followed by an accidental somersault!  He is quite the little Evil Knievel ;)



Does anyone have any other fun, goofing around the house games that I should know about?  I ordered that "Toddler Busy Book" and it looks like it has some good stuff in it, but sometimes good old mom-to-mom advice is just as good :)

Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

13 comments:

  1. Hey there! Love the fort idea - my kids and I did that just the weekend before last, and both my 12 year-old and my 8 year-old were equally entertained. I know when the little one gets up and moving, it'll be a favorite activity of his too!

    Following you back now too, can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pillow fort idea! Sounds like so much fun! I think we are going to have to give it a try! : ) I know what you mean about being a new mom and not figuring things out, I get so caught up in the day to day stuff that I don't get super creative but would love to!

    New follower from Mom Blog Monday! Hope you can stop by my blog!
    http://chalkboardstostrollers.blogspot.com/

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boys love forts. But they also love to be chased...until my legs fall off!!! A lot of times we lay out a big quilt and pull them through the house-it wears me out more than them, but they love it!!Another fave-your little guy is probably too small yet- is whip cream all over the table. Then I let them "fingerpaint" and it's ok if they eat it. When they are older we use shaving cream- they practice their alphabet and math...it's always a hit!!

    crystal
    http://survivingandthrivinginmom-dom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the follow, my LO loves his bear! we bought him his first vday gift a huge pink bear thinking ok hes a month old we can get him a different one next year we kinda went shoppng late for vday any ways that pink bear is his favorite its name is benny! we tried replacing it for the same exact type oni blu it was a no go! sorry i know this post was about the couch cushions but i read a few other posts lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are great ideas about the finger paint and the quilt! I will definitely try them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. these pictures are so adorable! Dont worry I found out lots of things very late in the game when I had my daughter 7 years ago. Now that I have my son (5 months) I am still learning! Its a never ending process! Looks like you are doing a great job, so keep it up! Thanks for following me & I am now returning the follow.

    Katie
    http://diaryofmomma00.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Following back! Thanks for the follow.

    sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. For my kiddos, folding sheets - ie, flapping my king size sheets up and down over them, jumping under the parachute with them - induces giggles that could last for hours. For YEARS they enjoy this. My 7 year old still jumps in the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ahhh, i love building forts! can't wait til he is old enough to appreciate them with me. haha. as for mommy games, i'm still in the peek a boo & patty-cake stages, so i got nothin for ya yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, & btw, "he" in that previous post is "parker." haha... it's late. bedtime!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kerry, we did the couch pillow fort this morning and it was a huge hit! Avery loved it, she climbed all over them. Thanks so much for the idea!

    I did think of something that we did and Avery loved. I put a waterproof mat down on the floor (those ones you get for messy eaters), got out a bunch of containers, and lots of water. I showed Avery how to pour water from one container to the other. She had a great time with it, she mostly poured water all over herself instead of between containers but oh well, she loved it! It's amazing how much water diapers hold! : ) After the water I tried to do it with food (Cheerios and Rice Crispies) but she ended up grabbing handfuls and shoving them in her mouth. We'll have to try that one again when she is a little older.

    Finger painting with food is one that I found that sounds fun to do, but we haven't tried it yet. Here a link to some directions if you are interested http://www.parentsconnect.com/do/puddin_paintin.jhtml

    Thanks again for the great idea, we will definitely have to do it again! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like fun! Love those moments.

    Returning your follow. Thanks for stopping by.

    Amy @ Missional Mama

    ReplyDelete
  13. Liz, those are great ideas! Thanks so much for sending that link. I'll check it out :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!