Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Scaring Mommy is Fun

You know that feeling when something bad is happening and your whole body turns hot and tingly? Like all of your blood rushes to your head and then releases throughout your body like a waterfall. It's that adrenaline kicking in right before your body knows that it's going to have to do something very important... and it's going to have to do it right.

Well, my body was getting ready to do a pretty tricky maneuver this morning- unlock Niall's high chair straps, yank him out of the chair, and start giving him some good old fashioned back blows before he turned completely blue right in front of me.

Looking back, I do realize that it would be pretty difficult to choke on water. It can go down the wrong pipe and cause you to gasp a little bit... but not actually choke- as in stop breathing, face turning purple, no oxygen/circulation choke. However, Niall thought it would be fun to try out a new face while he was drinking his water today.

Knowing now that it was just a fun face, I wish I had a picture or video to give you the full idea. But it just didn't feel right whipping out the camera to get a good shot of what I thought may have been Niall's last few gasps ;)

For whatever reason, he got in this tired/ constipated/ impatient/ experimentation with new faces kind of mood, and attempted to cut off his own circulation. He took a deep breath, bulged his eyes out of his head, and squeezed every muscle in his body until he did this little stiffened shaking. His face was red/purple and he was making a kind of desperate wheezing scream at the same time... while looking me dead in the eye.

Talk about a guilt trip! This little devil wanted to see me panic. He continued to do it a few more times after I got him out of the chair just to test me.  I don't know if he was trying to tell me he was angry or just enjoyed doing it or what.  But I did learn one thing today - I'm just not emotionally equipped to handle the experience of giving my own kid CPR (or any kid for that matter). I hope and pray none of us will ever have to do it.


Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

5 comments:

  1. Little monkey! I have had to do the Heimlich on both of my boys at one point or the other and it is NOT COOL. Hopefully he won't scare his mommy again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerry - that sounds soooo SCARY!!! Glad you made it through. Looking forward to reading more of your adventures!!! I'm following you back!

    Thanks for visiting "Mrs. NoNo Knows"! Hope you will stop back often and put in your two cents.
    Carla aka Mrs. NoNo
    Mrs. NoNo Knows

    ReplyDelete
  3. You poor thing! I feel like everytime I stop by you have had yet another scare. I think Niall needs to just play in a padded room with some soft stuffed animals for the next week...or three to give you a break ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2 Heimlich maneuvers!? That's more than I can handle. Props to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So scary, even if he was just playing around, you didn't know that in the heat of the moment. We've had a couple of times when I've been on the edge of my chair in the ready position. Luckily it hasn't progressed into anything serious but you always have to be aware!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!