Monday, September 13, 2010

Worst Mommy Ever

Only I could take the "safety" out of safety gates. Only I could figure out a way to actually make the safety gate inflict pain on my toddler. Oh, the irony.

There are only about 3 or 4 weeks out of the entire year that I can open all of the windows and doors in my house, so I had to take advantage. Nothing like hearing the birds chirping and feeling a gentle breeze while you're working at your dining room table.

I vaguely remember thinking something along the lines of "hmmm, I've never seen anyone put up a safety gate this way... but, hey, it works!", as I was haphazardly propping the gate between the corner of the dishwasher and a small area of the door frame. Well, it doesn't work- at all- so don't ever try it. I've learned the hard way that safety gates are meant to be wedged between 2 flush, parallel door frames... and nowhere else.

So, I was cooking away while Niall was playing on the kitchen floor behind me when I heard the sonic boom. I mean, it was LOUD. As I frantically looked behind me, I knew that something had fallen over, really hard, and that it was most likely Niall. What I didn't expect to see was his helpless little body trapped under the gate that had fallen on top of him and smashed his head against the hard wood floor.


It was one of those cries where his face was red and frantic and his mouth was wide open, but nothing was coming out. Those are the worst. I scooped him up and held him close to me, just chanting over and over "I'm so sorry! I'm so sorry!" When he was finally able to let out an agonizing scream, it was so heartbreaking- especially to think that this was my fault.

I'm not sure if he has fully forgiven me, but I think his sudden shift of interest in the remote control 20 seconds later could mean that I'm off the hook ;)



Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

12 comments:

  1. Oh no! Poor bubs! I don't think it makes you the worst mommy ever though. I save that title for when blood is drawn. lol. Glad he seems to be over it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those safety gates sound hazardous! Seems like he's OK, though, and has already forgiven and forgotten. Not a bad mommy, just an understandable, one-time mistake :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, poor Niall, poor you! It is such a terrible, awful, horrible feeling when we screw up and our babies get hurt. But we ALL do it! Just tonight I foolishly had Nate's hands just covered in NON tear-free body wash and he put them directly in his eyes. Oh the screams and tears. I felt awful. Luckily, they do recover quickly ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, good thing they really are so resilient. It's just so tough watching them in pain :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a sad story...and totally something I would do as well! Thanks for checking out my blog! Now following yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor kiddo! But isn't it wonderful how quickly kids bounce back from that sort of thing?! :)

    Thanks so much for visiting my blog!! Have a wonderful Tuesday! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's sad and it very gud that kids have a very short memory, its blessing sometimes. Thank you so much for visiting me.. Its a grt blog that u have got here. Now folowing your's.. Do come and visit mine once in a while when u get time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. awwww but sounds like you are forgiven! hehe I think kids will always try to find ways around those safety gates anyway. glad he is ok and so are you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, I'm following you back! : )

    Oh, poor guy! We all have those moments! Those no noise cries are the worst, so heartbreaking! Thank goodness for distractions like remote controls!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been there! And I had the gate installed the correct way. It's just when 2 children decide to stand on the gate and shake it back and forth, there is nothing that safety gate can do but give in the gravity and take the children with it! I think every parent has to have a safety gate mishap. I have heard tons of them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been there! And that cry is the absolute worst! Just a tip: next time he cries like that blow in his mouth. They are actually not breathing when they do that. It's like a shock thing, blowing in their mouth helps them to get a breath and start breathing normally again. :)

    I'm your newest follower! I love a mom who can blog about these incidents. I posted one a couple week ago about my daughter called Mommy Is A Monster lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, I had never heard of the blowing in the mouth trick. That's so scary that they stop breathing! I'll have to check out your Mommy is a Monster post :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!