Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Food in Yo Face!

Niall's 9 month appointment went pretty much exactly as I expected- weight check, head check, length check... except for one thing. The doctor told me to start letting Niall feed himself. My eye twitched a little as I had visions of pureed peas and sweet potatoes flying onto the ceiling and getting crusted into my already nappy hair.

He likes to throw things, not hold them and/or strategically move them from table to mouth. I wanted to convince myself that he was too young for this, but I suddenly realized that he's almost a year old!  After a long reminiscing glance at my perfectly neat and clean dining room, I sat down, sighed, and handed him the spoon full of yogurt (for my sanity, start with something colorless).

It has been a rocky road, these last 3 meals. The first was obviously very messy and we were just kind of feeling it out. The second, he decided to take matters into his own hands and man-handle the entire bowl with his bare hands- forget the spoon. The third, he was getting some serious spoon feeding skills, I'm not gonna lie-- but he started motor boating with his mouth full... we lost a lot of good yogurt out there.


All in all, I'm not completely traumatized. It has actually been really fun.  The one thing I would recommend for self baby feeding is to get a bunch of those catch bibs.  They are waterproof so you can just rinse them off and they have a pocket for the food scraps to fall into.  They have a good deal at Amazon in a bundle of 3...



Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

9 comments:

  1. kerry, you could also try letting him hold the spoon and get a few bites in while you also spoon-feed him. keeps him occupied and also lets him practice, but you know he's actually eating something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true; that's what I've resorted to. If I actually sat there and let him feed himself the entire bowl, I would be stuck there for an hour each time. Not to mention, he would be completely malnourished :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Niall is such an awesome, uncommon name for such a HANDSOME little man!

    Thanks for following me! I love your blog-- catching up on your posts now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! It's Gaelic for Neil, but I've been having all sorts of trouble with it if people don't see it spelled out (Niles, Nile, Miles, etc). Oh well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, that first picture is so stinkin' adorable! I can tell just from that one photo that your little man is full of personality! Good luck with the whole embracing the mess thing. I still fight it on the daily. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another helpful hint that we've found is a splat mat. Even with wood floors, there's food that doesn't clean up as easily as you would think. BTW...adorable boy with a great name!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooohh, never heard of a splat mat- I'm going to get one ASAP! I hope they have them at Target?? Maybe I'll check online. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!